About The Topeka (KS) Chapter of The Links, Incorporated
Welcome Message from our President Glenda Kearney DuBoise
On the evening of November 9, 1946, Margaret Hawkins and Sarah Scott, two young Philadelphia matrons, invited seven of their friends to join them in organizing a new type of inter-city club. This organizing meeting of The Links was not a spontaneous action. In 1945, Link Hawkins had conceived the idea of a group of clubs composed of friends along the eastern seaboard and had spent many hours with Link Scott in thinking, planning and discussing the possibilities of such an endeavor.
The two women envisioned an organization that would respond to the needs and aspirations of Black women in ways that existing clubs did not. It was their intent the club would have a threefold aim-- civic, educational, and cultural. Based on these aims, the club would implement programs, which its founders hoped would foster cultural appreciation through the arts; develop richer inter-group relations; and help women who participated to understand and accept their social and civic responsibilities.
Besides the two founders, the original members of the Philadelphia Club were Links Frances Atkinson, Katie Green, Marion Minton, Lillian Stanford, Myrtle Manigault Stratton, Lillian Wall, and Dorothy Wright. The club elected Margaret Hawkins as president, Sarah Scott as vice president, Myrtle Manigault Stratton as recording secretary, Frances Atkinson as corresponding secretary, and Dorothy Wright as treasurer.
Topeka (KS) Chapter History
The Topeka Chapter of The Links Inc. was organized in November 1958 and sponsored by the Kansas City Chap-ter. The Chapter was organized by Gladys DePriest, Ethel Woodson and Dimple Watkins. These three invited ten other Chartering Members to form the chapter.
In 2018, The Association of Fundraising Professionals in Topeka awarded the Topeka (KS) Chapter the 2018 Outstanding Volunteer Organization.